Monday, June 28, 2010

Ask A Grizzly: Bryce Reid

You submitted the questions and Grizzlies pitcher Bryce Reid has the answers.

Reid is a second-year pitcher for the Cheyenne Grizzlies and is entering his senior season at Vanguard University in Lake Ellsinore, Calif. Reid is majoring in Marketing and has compiled a 4-0 record with a 2.54 ERA this summer for the Grizzlies. He has struck out 28 batters in 28.33 innings and has limited opposing batters to a .182 batting average.


What is your favorite baseball memory?
Bryce Reid:
I don’t really have one specific favorite memory but instead several favorites. In high school I threw a combined no-hitter with one other pitcher on the team. Probably another one was my first start in college during my sophomore year. It was actually against Coach Luke’s (Wetmore) team. I went seven innings giving up an unearned run. Probably another one would have to be this past year, I threw eight innings against Madonna University in a regional game. We lost the game but I came in in the second inning and we were already down 4-0. I threw eight innings and threw really well. It was really good for me and a lot of fun. Hopefully that transfers into next year. Of course, almost throwing a no-hitter this summer was a lot of fun, too.

What do you like most about pitching?
BR:
The thing I most like about pitching is the feeling of the game being on my shoulders; I’m the one in charge. I have to throw strikes to allow my fielders to get outs. The pressure I get from it, I thrive from. I love the feeling of being out there on the mound and just knowing I can stand out there and look at a batter like, ‘Yes, I can get you out.’

What pitch do you consider as your “out pitch”?
BR:
My curveball. When I get the right feel for it, it’s definitely my out pitch. I love throwing it. It usually has a bite to it so I just love going to that pitch when I wanna get some guy out.

Earlier in the season you had a no-hitter going pretty late in the game. What were you thinking about during that game? Have you ever thrown a no-hitter before?
BR:
Like I said, I threw one in high school with another pitcher. Usually when that goes on I’m aware of it because I’m pitching, but I don’t think about it because I just try to go out there and I pitch. I feel like the more you think about it, the more likely it’s going to be that you’re going to give up a pitch. If someone eventually gets a hit, like the guy did, I’ll tip my hat to him and move on because there’s nothing I can do about it anymore.

I noticed a man at a game clocking you with a radar gun. Are you thinking about trying to play professionally?
BR:
I would love to play professional baseball. I know it’s rare to get there but I work my butt off to hopefully get there someday. I had no idea there was even a guy with a radar gun at the game. It’s been a dream of mine for a long time. Hopefully I get drafted next year but if not, I have a back-up plan. (Reid is majoring in Marketing and is getting his master’s in finance and is also going to take the CPA Exam.)

What’s the biggest difference between your hometown and Cheyenne? What’s your favorite part about Cheyenne?
BR:
Where I mostly live is at school and my school is in Orange County. So I’m five minutes away from Newport Beach and the ocean. The biggest difference is the whole lifestyle. Being in southern California, life is hectic; you’re always on the run, always having to go somewhere. When you do wanna go somewhere you always have to think about traffic and leave a half-hour or even an hour earlier than you need to be there. Being up here, life is so much easier. It’s care-free, no one’s in a rush, people are a lot nicer, too.

My favorite part about Cheyenne, and you could ask any guy on the team, is probably Frontier Days. I love Frontier Days. I went to the George Strait concert last year, I went to the PBR, the rodeo. I love the country. I’d like to move up to Colorado or Cheyenne after I graduate to get away from the busy life and all of the busyness of life in California.

Before each inning, I’ve noticed you squat behind the mound and pause for a moment before beginning the inning. What is the ritual or superstition behind this?
BR:
My school is a private Christian school. I’m strong in my faith so I say a prayer, it’s the same prayer each time. It’s just saying a prayer right before I get on the mound each time.

Who is your favorite professional team and player?
BR:
My favorite team is the Angels. I’ve been an Angels fan since I was born; that’s how I was raised. My favorite player is Johan Santana. I love the way the guy pitches. Every time I watch him I notice he’s not scared on the mound and I think he has one of the best changeups in the league. When he came down to Angel Stadium I went down just to see him pitch. I think he has a good head on his shoulders and I love watching him pitch.

What is your favorite hobby outside of baseball?
BR:
My father got me into deep sea fishing. I love doing that with him. Another hobby would be going to the drag races. My father makes parts, so I’ve been into that for awhile, too. Other than that, just hanging out with friends and having a good time. As long as I’m with my friends I’m having a good time.

Being a pitcher you don’t get to hit much. Do you miss that aspect of the game?
BR: Yeah, I do. I’ve only been pitching since my junior year of high school, so before that I played outfield. I always used to hit. I love being up there and the feeling you get when you swing the bat and you feel that connection between the bat and the ball and you know you got a good piece of it. I wish I could hit but I wouldn’t change it for pitching.

Do you have a job while you’re in Cheyenne?
BR: I work for the Cheyenne Junior League. I also mow lawns and stain fences, so I’m pretty busy up here. But for the Cheyenne Junior League, there are a couple guys from the team there, and basically what we do is make sure everything is open, turn the lights on, hang the flag, make sure all of the coaches get the proper scorebook for the proper field and proper division of playing for the players. We make a couple announcements, play the National Anthem, and answer any questions. Once all that’s done, we record scores, close everything up, make sure everything is safe and that’s basically it. It’s a pretty simple job, but I got lucky enough to get the job. It’s easier to get a job when you have a car. Last summer I didn’t have one at all, but it’s been nice to be able to make some money while up here.

Stay tuned to learn about who next week’s Ask A Grizzly will feature. E-mail questions to Nic at nic.cheyennegrizzlies@gmail.com by Sunday morning to get them answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment